Tom Hollander reprises his role as Henry Carr in Patrick Marber‘s fabulous production of Tom Stoppard’s Travesties – hooray! He first performed this role in London, twice, once at the Menier Chocolate Theatre in 2016 and then again at the Apollo Theatre in 2017 when the play transferred to the West End. The play, with Tom, Patrick and Peter McDonald (as James Joyce, from the original cast), have now transferred very successfully to Broadway – Travesties opened on 24 April (in previews from 29 March) and will close on 17 June 2018. Don’t miss it!
The Roundabout Theatre Company has produced this amazing PDF mini-guide Travesties-resource to accompany the production. Interviews with cast and crew and lots of context and background information for the themes explored in the play. Director Patrick Marber gave an at the theatre in May 2018, you can read a transcript of that discussion here.
There are also evening discussions and a chance to meet the cast at the theatre’s talks and events programme (5th, 12th and 13th June for theatre talks and 16th June for ‘meet the cast’).
Table of Contents
- Tickets & venue information
- Social media
- Press spots
- Reviews and tweets for the Broadway run
- Older tweets from the London runs of the play
1. TICKETS & VENUE INFORMATION
Roundabout Theatre Company – American Airlines Theatre
227 West 42nd Street, New York, NY, 10036 | Ticket Services: 212.719.1300
2. SOCIAL MEDIA
- Roundabout Theatre Company @RTC_NYC (Twitter) @rtc_nyc ( Instagram)
- #TravestiesBway ( Twitter hashtag)
View this post on Instagram
@broadwaycom https://www.broadway.com/buzz/191412/tom-hollander-more-ready-for-some-serious-comedy-in-tom-stoppards-travesties-on-broadway/ #travesties #tomstoppard #patrickmarber #tomhollander #sethnumrich #patrickkerr #saratopham #opalalladin #petermcdonald #danbutler #scarlettstrallen #travestiesbway #travestiesplay #broadway
3. PRESS SPOTS
The cast (including writer Tom Stoppard and director Patrick Marber) are interviewed by Playbill on the red carpet after the opening of Travesties on 24 April 2018.
- What’s TRAVESTIES All About? Tom Hollander and Company Explain! (11 March 2018) Broadway World
- The Broadway.com Show: Tom Hollander & More Talk About the Comedy ‘Whirligig’ Travesties (9 March 2018) Broadway Buzz
- Tom Hollander & More Ready for Some Serious Comedy in Tom Stoppard’s Travesties on Broadway (6 March 2018) Broadway Buzz
- Meet the Cast of Travesties on Broadway (6 March 2018) Theater Mania
From the original run
- Tom Stoppard and Patrick Marber: ‘Theatre is always better when playwrights read the papers’ (4 October 2016) Telegraph
4. BROADWAY REVIEWS & AUDIENCE TWEETS
The critics and audience love it!
Big Questions, Big Fun: Tom Stoppard’s ‘Travesties’ Returns to Broadway (Daily Beast)
“The excellent Tom Hollander gives a hyper-kinetic, beguiling performance as Henry Carr, the low-level English consular official who retells the story—or some kind of story as his flickering memory permits—of when Dadaism founder Tristan Tzara (Seth Numrich), James Joyce (Peter McDonald), and Lenin (Dan Butler) were all based in Zurich in 1917.”
‘Travesties’: Theater Review (Hollywood Reporter)
“(Patrick) Marber, a prominent dramatist himself (Closer, After Miss Julie, Dealer’s Choice), clearly has an affinity for the play, his joy at staging it practically bounding across the footlights. Hollander, repeating his Olivier-nominated performance, delivers a virtuoso turn as the hapless Carr.”
‘Travesties’ review: Tom Hollander leads Roundabout revival on Broadway (NY Daily News)
“The staging boasts evocative costumes, lighting and scenery. The paper-strewn set suggests disorder, but the show moves along without a hitch.”
Review: Screwball Eggheads Tear Up the Library in ‘Travesties’ (The New York Times)
“I would venture that this latest incarnation is the clearest and surely one of the liveliest on record. It should prove ridiculously entertaining for anyone with even a passing knowledge of its central characters, and a stroll through the groves of Wikipedia should offer adequate preparation for anyone else.
Because what makes “Travesties” so deeply engaging — and hilarious and touching — isn’t its flashy erudition but its author’s rapt fascination with the workings of the human mind and its enduring relationship with art.”
Broadway Review: ‘Travesties’ Starring Tom Hollander (Variety)
“In the Roundabout Theatre Company’s Broadway revival of “Travesties,” a sign (“Ruhe Bitte”) on the show’s set advises us to please be quiet in the Zurich reading room where Tom Stoppard’s 1973 comedy takes place. But you can forget about that, because the sound of laughter can’t be contained.”
“..(Tom Hollander, a treasure)…”
5. LONDON REVIEWS / TWEETS
Here is what critics thought of the London runs (they loved it there too!), below that some audience tweets.
- “The hilarity comes fast and frequent throughout” – New York Times
- “A first-rate cast perform with terrific pace, zest and dexterity” – The Independent
- “Tom Hollander is hilarious in this mind-bogglingly entertaining Stoppard revival” – Telegraph
- “I would go again in an instant” – Times
- “Tom Hollander and Freddie Fox [who played Tristan Tzara] dazzle and delight” – Evening Standard
- “Tom Hollander shines in Tom Stoppard’s wild ride of a comedy” – Time Out
- “Brilliantly bonkers” – Mail on Sunday
- “A tonic from start to finish” – Observer
- “Travesties also has wit, charm, insight, pathos and belly laughs aplenty” – Sunday Times Culture
- “A cast that is virtually flawless” – Daily Express
Above: The London cast at the Menier Chocolate Factory.
The tweets below refer to either the Menier Chocolate Factory or Apollo Theatre runs of Travesties.